As long as I can remember I have always held a passion for babies. Not until recently was that passion to have a child of my own. Growing up I had always told my parents I wanted to work with babies and small children. As they guided my future, I was told the only way to serve the age of children I wished was in the medical field, as a registered nurse. I tried that career, and to this day think I would make an excellent pediatric nurse. The only thing that held me from continuing in that direction was the overwhelming sorrow I felt while working in the hospital. Not necessarily sorrow for the sick people getting treatment, but for the ‘sick’ individuals that think of themselves as caring and compassionate. I had a run-in with several nurses at both local hospitals that acted as if they were better than everyone else. They may have been better than everyone else, but it pained me to see them not working for the good of the individuals there and in need. All I wanted to do was save lives and help people feel better. These individuals were not concerned for the individuals; rather they were in the job for personal gain. So there ended my career and drive to help babies through the medical field. Like a dagger to the heart, I thought I had lost all hope at helping babies and small children… until recently.
Each year the company I work for, The Jackson Group, participates in the March of Dimes March for Babies. I was privileged enough to walk last year with the Team Jackson Group and loved every minute of what the walk stood for. The March of Dimes works hard to raise money to help fund research that goes towards decreasing infant mortality. Did you know that 6 out of 1000 babies born die before one year of age? Why can those children not have the chance of a lifetime? That’s what March of Dimes does… they give those babies a chance at life. This year I had the opportunity to co-chair the Team Jackson March for Babies group. We collected change for changing babies’ lives, hosted a Thirty-One catalog sale, held numerous Blue Jeans for Babies Days, and asked for general donations all to help raise funds for the March of Dimes. It was a long journey to our walk day on May 2, 2009- but every minute was worth it to see the baby whom’s lives have been greatly impacted by the March of Dimes research.
I also had a pleasant surprise at the March for Babies walk. One of my co-workers asked me if I had seen the kids from Grandview Middle School, where Jenni taught, that were participating in the March for Babies. She took me to see the kids of Grandview and much to my surprise; they had dedicated their entire March for Babies walk in Jenni’s memory. I had to have a photo with the kids who wore shirts that stated “In loving memory of Jenni Cornwell, beloved teacher and friend.” I felt an overwhelming sense of emotion when I saw their shirts and realized all they had done to make this walk special for Jenni. I remember Jenni being so excited last year that I was walking in the March for Babies and even then she pledged that she would be with me this year. We had discussed my position as co-chair and she offered many times to help wherever needed. I think I was so overwhelmed at all the kids had done because in a way Jenni was there when I least expected it. She was there cheering us all on, and the kids were there to remind each of us of that alone. Each of the kids shared with me their love for their Mrs. Cornwell, and one of her neighboring teachers, Mrs. Lloyd shared my many thanks to them for all they did in the walk. I immediately called Josh and his mom after meeting with the kids. All we could do was cry on the phone because it was so touching to know they would do something so generous for another individual.
All-in-all the walk was amazing. Here are a few photos of our day:
Here I am with the first few kids that I tracked down.

Here are both of our groups posing for a shot together. Team Jackson is in dark grey, Team Grandview is in light grey.

Here is a shot of the posters that were made in Jenni’s memory-- the entire school signed them.

Here is Jodi, Zane, and Myself enjoying the beginning festivities.

At the end of the walk, the Grandview teachers and students released Carolina blue and white balloons in Jenni’s memory. It was touching to see how much these students cared.


We are still raising money for the March for Babies through the end of this month, so the money totals I have are still preliminary. I am grateful to have found a way to serve babies and small children, along with the friend I will always love.
Each year the company I work for, The Jackson Group, participates in the March of Dimes March for Babies. I was privileged enough to walk last year with the Team Jackson Group and loved every minute of what the walk stood for. The March of Dimes works hard to raise money to help fund research that goes towards decreasing infant mortality. Did you know that 6 out of 1000 babies born die before one year of age? Why can those children not have the chance of a lifetime? That’s what March of Dimes does… they give those babies a chance at life. This year I had the opportunity to co-chair the Team Jackson March for Babies group. We collected change for changing babies’ lives, hosted a Thirty-One catalog sale, held numerous Blue Jeans for Babies Days, and asked for general donations all to help raise funds for the March of Dimes. It was a long journey to our walk day on May 2, 2009- but every minute was worth it to see the baby whom’s lives have been greatly impacted by the March of Dimes research.
I also had a pleasant surprise at the March for Babies walk. One of my co-workers asked me if I had seen the kids from Grandview Middle School, where Jenni taught, that were participating in the March for Babies. She took me to see the kids of Grandview and much to my surprise; they had dedicated their entire March for Babies walk in Jenni’s memory. I had to have a photo with the kids who wore shirts that stated “In loving memory of Jenni Cornwell, beloved teacher and friend.” I felt an overwhelming sense of emotion when I saw their shirts and realized all they had done to make this walk special for Jenni. I remember Jenni being so excited last year that I was walking in the March for Babies and even then she pledged that she would be with me this year. We had discussed my position as co-chair and she offered many times to help wherever needed. I think I was so overwhelmed at all the kids had done because in a way Jenni was there when I least expected it. She was there cheering us all on, and the kids were there to remind each of us of that alone. Each of the kids shared with me their love for their Mrs. Cornwell, and one of her neighboring teachers, Mrs. Lloyd shared my many thanks to them for all they did in the walk. I immediately called Josh and his mom after meeting with the kids. All we could do was cry on the phone because it was so touching to know they would do something so generous for another individual.
All-in-all the walk was amazing. Here are a few photos of our day:
Here I am with the first few kids that I tracked down.

Here are both of our groups posing for a shot together. Team Jackson is in dark grey, Team Grandview is in light grey.

Here is a shot of the posters that were made in Jenni’s memory-- the entire school signed them.

Here is Jodi, Zane, and Myself enjoying the beginning festivities.

At the end of the walk, the Grandview teachers and students released Carolina blue and white balloons in Jenni’s memory. It was touching to see how much these students cared.


We are still raising money for the March for Babies through the end of this month, so the money totals I have are still preliminary. I am grateful to have found a way to serve babies and small children, along with the friend I will always love.


No comments:
Post a Comment